California has been hit hard by the recent COVID-19 pandemic, with nearly 10,000 confirmed cases as of April 2nd. The state has come together to flatten the curve by practicing social distancing and following the other guidelines put together by the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
5 ways to protect yourself and your loved ones from COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often: Wash your hand with soap and water thoroughly for at least 20 seconds, especially if you have gone to any public spaces.
- Clean and disinfect your home: Keep your space clean and focus your efforts on often-used surfaces like doorknobs, handles, phones, toilets, etc.
- Avoid touching your face: If you are unable to wash your hands, avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home: If you are feeling sick, practice home isolation to avoid spreading illness to your community. The CDC also offers measures for if you are already sick.
- Avoid close contact: When you do need to go to a public location, practice social distancing and keep 6ft between you and the next closest person.
Indoor Air Quality Solutions Can Keep Your Home Cleaner
If you are spending more time at home in order to reduce the chances of exposure, you might be wondering what steps you can take to make your space a safe and clean environment. Sprucing up your home’s air quality is a great way to lower your exposure to contaminants like viruses, bacteria, dust, dander, mold, pollen, and more.
When you are exposed to these biological contaminants, you are more likely to experience negative health effects, including an increase in asthma and allergy symptoms, as well as headaches, dizziness, and respiratory infections. These side-effects are particularly dangerous for children, the elderly, or those with compromised immune systems. Our air quality experts at Wallner Plumbing, Heating & Air have been helping homes stay safe and comfortable for over 50 years, and we have put together 7 solutions to keep your indoor air quality high.
7 ways to improve your indoor air quality:
- Keep your HVAC systems clean: If your AC or furnace has a dirty filter it is not only less effective, but could also be increasing the amount of dust and debris you are inhaling daily.
- Invest in an air filtration system: Air purification systems like a HEPA filter can be attached to your existing HVAC system and use a series of filters to actively remove biological contaminants.
- Clean floors and carpets regularly: Rugs and carpets can keep your home warm but are also a trap for dust, dander, and debris. Remember to sweep or vacuum your floors often, at least once a week.
- Monitor your home’s humidity level: If your home’s relative humidity is above 50% you could be creating an ideal environment for mold and mildew. Consider investing in a humidifier or dehumidifier for your home.
- Increase ventilation: By simply opening your window, or turning on a ceiling fan more often you can increase the airflow in your home, circulating clean air throughout your space.
- Use allergen-proof covers: Preventing dust mites from populating in your bedroom by using mattress and pillow covers can drastically reduce allergy symptoms.
- Reduce your use of harmful chemicals: Harsh household cleaners increase your exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the air and can have short- and long-term health effects.
To learn more about ways you can keep the quality of your home’s air pristine, call our experienced team today at Wallner Plumbing, Heating & Air. Contact us at (530) 223-5622 or fill out our online form.